Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Don't Quit Your Day Job.. OR Your Side Hustle


Why is it that people know the lottery is a sham and they still play it? The Mega Millions is now at $355 Million (it was $330 Million but the jackpot increased because so many hopeful souls have purchased tickets) and people all over the city are going bananas. Giving in to the temptation to start planning exactly what they would do with the money. Some people say you just have to think positive. Others have special numbers or superstitious tricks that might make them win. Some people think an old person always wins. (My Great Grand Aunt plays all the time and she is 97 and she certainly has not won). But I know that I never win anything so I’m sure I can’t win this. That is not me being pessimistic. It is not just because I am not a lucky kind of person. But because my chances of winning the jackpot are literally one in 175,711,536, according to the Mega Millions Web site (as are yours). And the reason the jackpot is so big is because it has rolled over 15 times because no one has won it since November. I know what you are thinking, yes someone has to win. But at this point it is more likely that you will:

*Get struck by lightening - 1 in 750,000
*Have quadruplets naturally – 1 in 729,000
*Catch Polio in a country that actually still has Polio like Nigeria – 1 in 1.3 million
*Die in a fireworks accident – 1 in 1,000,000
*Contract the human version of Mad Cow Disease – 1 in 40,000,000
*Die from SARS in the U.S. – 1 in 100,000,000

Ok you get my point. Anyway I went in for $2 with a friend. Two dollars and a lot of dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment